Thursday, September 10, 2015

Major Don't and Do's in Treating Exfoliative Cheilitis

I know it has been months since I updated this blog, but I would like to announce that I am now 100% cured. It took about 11 months to completely cure it. I will not lie, the first 6 months were the hardest and then it started getting better and better. I had an effective routine in place and I became less self-conscious as time went along. To those of you who are still at the beginning, surfing the web every chance you get just to get an answer, I want to tell you that it CAN be done. I wont lie, it will test you, but you will persevere.

 I have had a couple of requests to post pics. I am sure this will happen soon. I just have to get over my insecurity, i guess. The pics are really intense and I am not sure I am ready to share. Thank you for your understanding.
The following is major Do's and Don'ts that I feel will really help some of you out there.

Don't

1. Overdo any healing ointment, chapstick or cream. Remember your skin needs to heal and in order to do that you must sometimes be cautious about the frequency of your applications. Once or twice a day is enough moisture.

2. Always moisten your lips using water or any other liquids. The white gunk appears when your lips are wet or moist, making it prone to removal or wear and tear. Remember the white gunk is actually skin that needs to stay on your lips. When your lips are wet the skin becomes more fragile, so try to keep your lip skin dry as much as possible. This does not mean that you can't get water on your lips at all: brushing your teeth will make that happen anyway. Wash your hair in the sink to avoid getting your lips wet, especially if you suffer from dandruff from time to time. This will cut the risk of infecting your lips. In addition, follow the tips I mentioned on my previous entries.

3. Take pictures everyday. Although I recommend taking pictures to keep you motivated, taking pictures everyday can discourage you from continuing to heal yourself. You are healing even if you can't see it and taking pics everyday can get you easily frustrated. I recommend taking pics weekly to keep you motivated. Remember there are good days for your lips and really, really awful ones. You have to be prepared to not notice significant changes until 4-5 months onto your healing journey. This doesn't mean that some people wont witness something different, but prepare yourself for this fact. This is not to say that you lips will not start to feel better, but it will be a while for you to notice significant changes.

4. This is obvious, but do not continue to peel your lips. This will only prolong your EC journey. If you are reading this, it means that you know better. It is up to you to start making changes to heal yourself. Peeling is easy because it makes it less obvious for other people to notice your lips, but you are suffering inside. Your lips are on fire. Start living for you. Let people know about your condition and continue this journey. People will forget you had EC after you heal it, trust me. I sometimes forget I ever had it ( a blessing).

5. Be hard on yourself. It is OK that you sometimes are so frustrated that you decide to peel. Forgive yourself! It is understandable. Just make sure to try and put your best foot forward for the days to come. I know it is hard, but this chunk of your life with EC has an expiration date, which means that you will one day forget this was ever bothering you!

On my next post I will include some DO's that will help in healing exfoliative chelities. I hope this helps someone. Dont forget to post a comment if you have any questions. You can also e-mail me if you have some more personal testimonies, questions or if you need advice.


28 comments:

  1. Patiently waiting.. congrats on the progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really is something you will completely forget over time, thankfully. If you have any questions, please do ask. I promise, I will be better at answering on time.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. I felt so alone in this process and nobody really understood me, and by reading your blog, I just felt every word you said, every feeling, it's good knowing you are not alone, that there is another person with this problem, that can relate, and it is a huge huge relief knowing you got cured. I have exfoliating cheilitis for 4 months now, and yes, it is a struggle, it is consuming, it is hard. As you said, I feel I have lots of insecuritis, sometimes I am optimistic, sometimes I am down, but your blog gave me hope. Right now I am on steroids on my lips combined with antibiotics, by using a product my doctor gave me, Diprogenta. Meanwhile I moisten my lips with calendula cream, I must say it's a great moisturiser. Right now I don't have crusts, I clipped them with a scissor, only the dead skin which was detached, but I am very afraid it will appear again, as I am very accustomed to in these 4 months.

    I have one very important question, a big insecurity that keeps buggind me and makes me flip sometimes. As you well know, we (who have this problem) can't get water on the lips, cause it makes the skin white, and chappy again... so, maybe this may sound strange but, I am very afraid that I won't be able to have a relationship because of my lips, i mean a relationship mean kissing, and kissing mean fluid, and fluid for us is bad. Can we kiss others with our condition? Won't kissing make it worse? I don't have anyone right know, but I am afraid that I will meet someone and I won't be able to kiss that person and start something because of my lips! What can you advise me? I just hope my question doesn't sound strange, it is a big big insecurity I have

    Thank you so much for everything you are writing. I look forward to your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comment. It really encourages me to write more about what I know and what my experience has been. 4 months is a milestone! keep going. Are you currently on a steroid and still seeing crusts? Sorry about not replying sooner. I promise I will be better about that next time. Also, do not worry about kissing. If you do kiss someone, then I would just worry about not letting your crusts peel off or get damaged. Honestly, if you feel like kissing, just do it. As for the future, this condition heals. It just takes a lot of time and patience. The most challenging part, if you want to heal as quickly as possible, is to leave the crusts on your lips and fighting the urge to peel it off. I know you can conquer this. I hope I have answered your questions, if you have some more, ask away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do i have to leave the yellow scabs on my lips? And can i kiss when the scabs arent on my lips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, leaving your scabs on your lips is very important to the healing process. It is like exposing your wounds to the environment without any protection. Kissing may be an uncomfortable situation for you. You have to let the person know that you are dealing with this issue. Also, you have to make sure that it is not cheilitis that is transmittable ( caused my candidia).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I'm really happy that you're cured, but I think posting pictures will help us more than you, remember you're cured, we aren't and it would be really helpful to see the process!

    How long did you have EC for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post pictures soon. I still feel insecure about them, but if I am helping people then it worth it. About a year and it was completely cured. It is a process. After the 5 month mark there was a significant difference.

      Delete
  7. Hey Mia im an 18 year Old girl that been having EC for 6 months now. I was so STUPId First i thought IT Would go away IF i peeled the skin (this was BEFORE i knew i had EC) and ofc IT has foten worse. WHAT kind of animal fat dis u use on your lips?? And did you have Any routine while using ut? PLEASE help me people used to compliment My big lips and i miss wearing lipstick and feeling beautiful :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Silla,
      I know exactly what you are going through. I promise you will get through this. I did! the animal fat is oil extracted from wool, it is called lanolin. I used the brand Lansinoh lanolin, it is 100% pure and it really helped me heal. I have a post about my daily routine, if you want to read it. I think it will help. Make sure you keep your head up. This is only for a short while.

      Delete
    2. HI Silla,
      I know exactly what you are going through. I promise you will get through this. I did! the animal fat is oil extracted from wool, it is called lanolin. I used the brand Lansinoh lanolin, it is 100% pure and it really helped me heal. I have a post about my daily routine, if you want to read it. I think it will help. Make sure you keep your head up. This is only for a short while.

      Delete
  8. Hi Mia ! I have this problem since this june. I think i will kill my self . I was addicted to make up lipstistick ect . Now i m in that condition : middle of my lower lip is peel red colour , and i m using vaseline twice a day . I never let them buid up and getting yellow , cause of my insecure . Dermatologist gave me cortisonic creams but this didn't improve my condition. I don't know what to do , im so down with my mental health

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda!
      I completely understand the emotional distress EC causes, but please do not resort to harming yourself. This is a condition that is mainly external. There are worse things out there that people face. I had yellow crusts for more than 5 months before I saw some healing. If I can get through it, anyone can. Please try to talk to someone close to you about this and seek help. Also, exercise helps with the psychological aspect of EC.

      Delete
    2. Also, positive things can come from negative experiences. This experience has actually inspired me to go to dental school and explore the reason behind EC and how it is related to dental health, since mine was related to braces.

      Delete
    3. Also, positive things can come from negative experiences. This experience has actually inspired me to go to dental school and explore the reason behind EC and how it is related to dental health, since mine was related to braces.

      Delete
  9. Finding this site has been a god sent. Thank you for doing this. I have had this illness for almost 15 years. I finally have hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad this is helping you. This is why I decided to blog about it, to help people. I remember when I was scrounging the internet for a cure. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Do not loose hope.

      Delete
  10. Finding this site has been a god sent. Thank you for doing this. I have had this illness for almost 15 years. I finally have hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it is helping. Do not give up

      Delete
    2. I am so glad it is helping. Do not give up

      Delete
  11. I had this problems for 5 months now. First it started with terrible dry lips that cause me to apply vaseline often. However, I started to have an allergy reaction to vaseline and become thick yellow crust and swelling. After about 3 months my allergy got better but now my skin on my lips kept peeling and growing and peel off again. Its like a continuous cycle. Before this i apply steroid for about 2 months but stopped recently because i felt that i became too dependent on it and it didnt cure my problem. Now the skin is not as thick as before but its hanging there waiting to drop and its bugging me a lot especially when people are staring. I try coconut oil but its not working for me because my lips get red when i apply it. Is there anything I can do to make it less dry?

    ReplyDelete
  12. maybe try applying lanolin overnight and then in the morning it wont be as noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hye! Thanks for this blog post,i just found out that the 10 months problem I've been getting is EC! :'( Can i use lip balm everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know no one has posted in a while but I have had EC for the last almost 5 months and as a woman it has really been hard to face the word and leave the house...I got really bad allergic contact dermatitis on my lips which made them really raw and turned into EC.I now have a constant cycle of thick yellow scabs on my upper and lower lips. I try to keep the scabs on as long as I can but they keep falling off and the skin underneath is never more healed and still swollen. Should I keep these thick scabs moist with Vaseline or let them stay dry? I havent been picking at the I am just get so disconcertrd that I am not really seeing big improvemt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debes tener mucha fortaleza y paciencia, yo estoy en el mismo proceso, mi EC comenzo en Enero de este año, y ha sido un camino muy dificil, se que lo sabes. Pero estoy aferrada a Dios, a mi familia a mis hijas y alamor propio que he empezado a fortalecer en este tiempo. Las mejoras en este proceso son muy lentas, prueban nuestra fe. Pero no debemos rendirnos. Te envio un mensaje de esperanza, comparto tu sentimiento.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quise decir al amor propio que estoy fortaleciendo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What did you use that exactly cured your chronic chapped lips/exfoliative cheilitis??????????

    ReplyDelete